Sport Inspires Podcast
Hello and welcome to the Sports Inspire Podcast — a new series in collaboration with The Mary Peters Trust and the Coca-Cola Thank You Fund.
Each episode will give you the chance to listen-in on conversations with Northern Ireland’s incredible sports men and women on the topics of performance, mental health and life after sport.
Episode 4 – Michael McKillop
Michael McKillop is a four-time Paralympic Gold-Medalist who currently holds the world record for the 800m and 1500m races.
In today’s episode, Matthew Thompson and Lady Mary Peters talk with Michael about:
- What it was like being coached by his father at a young age
- His current journey to the Tokyo 2020 Games
- And how he’s dealt with cerebral palsy and mental health challenges along the way.
Thanks so much for being here and we really hope you enjoy.
Episode 3 – Carl Frampton
Today’s episode is with legendary two-weight world champion boxer Carl Frampton who’s recently retired from the sport just a few months ago.
Along the way Thomas Kane and Gold Medalist Lady Mary Peters ask Carl about :
- How retirement has been treating him
- What he plans on doing next
- And some of the lessons he’s learned from the highs and lows of an incredible career
Episode 2 – Katie Mullan
- The role team spirit has played in their success
- What it was like to win a silver medal in the world cup while being ranked 15th
- And how they’ve been training through lockdown to become the first women’s team in history to take home an Olympic medal in just a few weeks times.
Episode 1 – Rhys McClenaghan
Our first episode is a double-whammy, featuring a conversation with Gold-Medalist Lady Mary Peters and an interview with 21-year-old Gymnast Rhys McClenaghan who is competing in his first Olympic Games this summer.
Sports Inspire is a Best Of Belfast Production and our theme music is Go For Gold by Spring Gang.
Special thanks to Stephen Watson who kindly hosted the Rhys interview featured in this episode.
How to listen
If you don’t have time to tune in right now, you can listen to today’s show on
Overcast or your favourite podcast app.
New episodes in this series will go out every 2nd Monday on the Best Of Belfast platform and will feature the wide range of talent and personalities competing at the highest level of their given sport.
Search Best Of Belfast on your favourite podcast app and subscribe today.